Pointless? By DannyDarko

Just a little space to put my views out there about games. Sometimes they'll be new, sometimes they'll be old and sometimes they might be about theories and philosophies about gaming in general. Hope you like it.

Enjoy,
DannyDarko x

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Nintendo Wii:

I have been in two minds about the intellectual property of Nintendo for quite some time. I hate the way that they sell and resell anything with a moustache and dungarees stuck on it. Mario, Zelda, Pikachu, Kirby, Donkey Kong. Nintendo have more mascots than they know what to do with. This might make you think that there are more original ideas coming out of Nintendo than I let on, but actually the only reason they become famous enough to be mascot potential is because they are used again and again and again and again and again and again. Yes, that was an annoying and badly structured sentence, but that was supposed to represent the annoying and badly structured hierarchy of the Nintendo cast.


Cash-cows beware- Nintendo will milk you dry












Ok... so I didn't start this just to rant about Nintendo. I actually meant to point out a little thing about the Nintendo Wii that I always forget until I actually play it again. It's really fun! It's the only console I have been able to play with my girlfriend, mum, sisters, brothers, in-laws, gaming and non-gaming friends. The point is, the horrible words that seem to occur far too much these days are necessary terms: 'casual gaming'. Although the design behind these games is often unimaginitive and unoriginal, they do sell well and that's part of the reason they continue to be made. Why not make them if its what people want? Why not play them for a few hours with your friends now and again? You can't play Final Fantasy, Uncharted, Heavy Rain, Bioshock or Dragon Age with your friends. They're all single player and although I can sit and play them in the company of certain friends, there is no way it could be replicated with my little brothers, in-laws, or my girlfriend. It just would not be fun. I'm not going to go on about this any longer because I only wrote this to make one point....

Sociable, family, novelty games may not be the most soul-shaking, emotive and in depth experiences, but they certainly do their job. They entertain almost anyone for a good hour at least. I almost fell into a hardcore gamer snobbery, but thankfully I was brought back from the edge by last night's encounter with Wii Party. Thanks guys. Sorry about the step game...





DannyDarko

As a side note I'd like to add that the encounter with Wii Party was not in fact, last night. It was over a week ago, but because my laptop decided to play silly buggers with my image uploading, I've had to wait and go to the library to post!

No comments:

Post a Comment